Friday, December 17, 2010

Inception, what a trippy movie.





It has been a very long time since I have done a blog about a movie but I liked this one so much I thought I would do one.  Inception is a pretty original idea, mostly.  Taking control of a shared dream to steal corporate ideas or in this case to plant an idea. 

It is almost like a bunch of movies cut up into one.  City of Lost Children, The Matrix, Dark City with a little Mission Impossible thrown in for good measure.  Let me just say I am not a huge Leonardo DeCaprio fan, strike that, I do not like him at all, but he did an alright job in this film.  The special effects did carry the movie and most every question was answered which is pretty good.

I didn't figure out the ending until about 30 minutes in, which for me is a good thing because I can usually tell how something ends 5 minutes into the film.  there are some twists and turns along the way that might have made me doubt what I thought the end to be but I was pretty much dead on. 

Am I ever going to get to the plot or anything here?  Okay, fine.  It is about controlling dreams, creating the places and keeping the dreams from falling apart too soon.  It would seem that the more control you put in the dream the faster it falls apart.  Follow me?  Well let me add that this is about controlling nested drams.  Dreams within dreams.

The further the dream is nested the longer the time seems in the dreams, which I thought was kind of groovy.  Whereas your main dram was like an hour to every 5 minutes of dream, deeper nested dreams could last what seems like decades.  This would have been nice if it was real when I went to school.  I could have learned everything I needed to know in one night and tested out of everything.  Oh well, I guess that is why they call it fiction.

It was a good movie overall but be sure to pay close attention or you may find yourself lost pretty fast and you may stay lost.  Have I lost you with my review?  Sorry about that.  Watch it for yourself and see what you think.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I agree with everything you said! Inception is a very decent movie considering what schlock is out there in movieland. The only thing I disagree with you about is Leo. I know, I know.. he gets under your skin right? BUT, Titanic aside, his body of work is quite exceptional. And when he teams up with Scorcese, there is no other actor I can think of that compares. If you can temporarily suspend your distaste for him, and re-watch The Aviator, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, Catch Me If You Can, and Gangs of New York, you might see how exceptionally talented he is. Just my opinion though :) Thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it!

- jackie ♥