Thursday, December 16, 2010

Holy movie selections bat-person!





I am not sure how I made it as long as I did without an iPhone but I did.  I am not sure how I made it as long as I did without Netflix but I did.  I am not sure how I made it so long without the Netflix iPhone App but I did.  Now I am not sure if I could live without it!  Okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration but really, I love it!

It sometimes amazes me how far technology has come in a matter of 10 years.  In 2000 the average hard drive size in a laptop was 10 gig.  My iPhone has 32 gig and eeighs about 8 pounds less and does 100 times as many things including play down-streamed movies.  My first laptop could not play anything more than an animated gif and that sometimes froze up the computer.

Recently we got Netflix for the house.  We signed up for the free trial- it is only like $10 a month after the trial.  It is really cool to have a DVD shipped to you and not have to worry with going to the video store and paying $3 a pop for DVD rentals.  After you get 4 DVDs in the mail you've paid for the monthly fee just in DVD rentals.  But wait, there's more, much more.

You can watch movies on your laptop.  You can watch movies through your PS3 or Wii.  You can watch movies through devices that stream to your TV or you can watch movies on your iPhone.  Seriously, the amount of options for watching movies is staggering.  Especially when you think of how much you are paying for what you are getting.  We are going to cancel our premium movie channels on our Direct TV and save $44 a month.

I imagine Netflix isn't for everyone.  The movie selection isn't great when it comes to downloads and sometimes it is a month or two before new releases are added to the DVD selection but you are never without something to watch.  They have tons of genres and sub-genres that make it easy to find something entertaining.  I know I can find something to watch for 1/4 what I pay to the movie channels on TV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forget that they have television series. Also the Starz channel that you have to pay for on TV, is free on netflix. So any series they come out with you can keep abreast of on netflix, plus they offer a much more nice selection of movies.

All seasons of lost, etc etc. You can stream to your blu-ray player too, and I got the app for my itouch and I have to say, I was amazed at the quality. Their selection of kids movies is top notch and if you dig enough, you'll find older television series up there too. Don't expect HBO shows though, but showtime is pretty good about putting their stuff up there soon as possible. There's also a new "internet only" for 8 bucks. Which we've dropped down to.