Tuesday, December 7, 2010

1951 Nash Ambassador Custom Lead Sled?

Penelope - 1951 Nash Ambassador Custom
Yes, here we are again talking about Penelope, a 1951 Nash Ambassador Custom that I saved from the crusher.  I love this car, strike that, I Lurve this car.  While most rat rod enthusiasts enjoy the 30's and 40's there has to be something said for the 50's.  Big fins, nice curves and well, a whole lot of car!  Penelope is over 17 1/2 feet long!

This beauty came with an inline 6 cylinder, 235 c.i.d., engine, which is great if you live in the flatlands.  I, however, live in the Ozark Mountains.  (Before you start, yes, the Ozark Mountains are more like foothills but they are far from being flat.) So, my plans are to put in a Ford 289 or 302 or maybe even a 390.  I will more than likely go with a C6 Transmission and a heavy duty Ford rear end.  Why Ford? Because I like Ford, nuff said.

Penelope does not need to be chopped, her lines are quite perfect as it is, but her stance will end up being much lower than it was originally.  I will have to put in new floor boards, and by new I mean welded in old street signs.  I am going to have to rewire the entire car, too.  I may end up adding a few modern things like power steering and an A/C if I can find something that would fit right.   It is going to take a while but the journey is a big part of the adventure.

No comments: