Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Other Project- 1966 Ford Fairlane 500

I have always allowed myself no more than two project cars at any given time. This is my 1966 Ford Fairlane 500. I have had this car since 2002. I drove it for 4 years before I decided to take it apart to restore. This car came stock with a straight 6, 200c.i.d. engine and a 2 speed automatic transmission.

The original goal was to make a GT clone out of it. GTs had a 390c.i.d. with a 4 speed manual transmission. All original GTs are selling for $40k to $50k completely restored. GT clones are selling for $20k to 35K depending on the condition. I no longer have plans to build a GT clone as it would cost me around $15k to get it to that point. So, I am thinking about putting it back together and either driving it or selling it so that I can have another project.

I currently have not yet even worked on Penelope. For those of you who don't know Penelope, she is a 1951 Nash Ambassador Custom. The plans with her are to make her a Rat Sled. I will not be doing any kind of chop because her lines are just too beautiful. I plan to paint her up like an old cop car. Yes, the 51 Nash was used as a police car. on a side note, the 1966 Ford Fairlane 500's were also used as police cars.

I have actually owned several cars that were models that were used for police cars but that is a story for another time. Anyhow, I am hoping to find time this winter to put my Fairlane back together and get it running. Then, in the spring I will start working on Penelope. It is times like these that I wish I had a garage.

No comments: