Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Back in the day

Back in the day, when I was young, toys were made of wood. The toys I destroyed as a child are worth huge amounts of money today. And the toys made today are not worth the money you pay for them. Nor would they last long enough to become valuable.

Back in the day, when I was young, cars were fast and gas was cheap. Now when you step on the accelerator (formerly known as a gas pedal) cars do not respond like they used to. Gas is very expensive and cars are even more expensive. Antique cars are worth 20 times the original price and new cars are worth 1/2 what you pay for them.

Back in the day, when I was young, food tasted like food. You had a garden and grew vegetables and canned and froze. Today it is cheaper to buy your vegetables at a store and they taste like nothing. It is almost impossible to find seeds that have not been genetically altered to grow fast without taste and nutrition.

Back in the day, when I was young, people worked for a living, because there were jobs. I had my first job that had taxes taken out when I was 13 years old. Before that, I would help in the garden and sell vegetables to help pay for my school clothes.

How I long for back in the day. I can only go back in my memories and alas my memories are fading. I wonder what my parents remember about back in their day. I wonder what my daughter will remember about back in her day. Back in the day is ever changing. lets hope the children of today will remember the days fondly.

No comments: