Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Has Texting and Twitter caused people to think in 140 characters thoughts?

I use an iPhone now so I am not limited to 140 character texts, but I am a Twitter user.  I guess I have always just said what I wanted to say and broke it up into multiple texts or tweets but some people cram so many abbreviation into their text and tweets that is is just impossible to figure out!

?
I have a question
?
I don't understand what you mean
?4U
I have a question for you
;S
Gentle warning, like "Hmm? What did you say?"
^^
Meaning "read line" or "message above"
<3
Meaning "sideways heart" (love, friendship)
<3 Meaning "broken heart"
<33
Meaning "heart or love" (more 3s is a bigger heart)

That is an excerpt from http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp and they list so many abbreviation that it is like trying to learn a new language!  How is one expected to learn even a fraction of that, especially since many have multiple meanings.   It makes me wonder if someone shouldn't create an iPhone ap just to translate textspeak!

Let me just make one comment about my age.  I am not someone who didn't grow up with computers.  I have been around computers since well before the 286 era.  My first computer was a calculator - the TI-99!  I can program my DVR and build websites.  I am not computer illiterate.  Part of my job where I work is unofficial IT and IS.  I have been around since before cell phones.  I may only be in my late 30's but my father is a computer teacher so I always had access to cutting edge technology.  Why don't I get textspeak?


1 comment:

Sarah Stewart said...

You are not the only one. I grew up with computers and even I have an absolute refusal to use 2 instead of to or U, instead of you and so on. Multiple tweets FTW.